Saturday, September 11, 2010

Unabashed Love

So, you may think that this post is about my love - aka Billy, Hunka Hunka, BRegs, Babe, etc. Indeed, I can see why you might think that with a title of "Unabashed Love." However, this quick little ditty is about my love for hand soap. But not just any hand soap. The best-ever-can't-get-enough-of-it-wish-I-could-bathe-in-it-'cause-I-could-smell-it-all-day-long handsoap.

This is in response to a few who have been mystified by my FB status: "Charity almost wishes it was an ear infection to explain why my ear hurts! At least I have really good smelling hands! ;)" Well, the explanation is far too long for FB, so here you go.

Last night I noticed a throbbing in my right ear. It intensified when I put my head down to sleep. This morning...same thing. Lots of pain in my right ear, making me desire to shove a Q-Tip far in and poke my eardrum to get fluid out myself.

I, ahem, restrained myself.

By mid-afternoon, the pain was still there, so I set off to Urgent Care to get a peek and see if I had an ear infection. Now, reference the first half of my status...go ahead, I'll wait while you refresh your memory. OK, so it wasn't an ear infection. In fact, the fun-loving physician told me my ears looked "pristine." "Why, thank you," should have been my response, however, "pristine, looks fine, and I can't even imagine up some redness," aren't usually the things one wants to hear when one has throbbing!

What in the world does the lack of an ear infection have to do with hand soap? Well, I'm glad you asked. *One* of my quirks is that I have a really strong sense of smell, and hearing, well, except when my ear hurts, and then I have to go get it checked...well...back to the sense of smell. And, one of the things that brings me to a happy place is the smell of the soap that is in every dispenser at our Community Hospital and all of the facilities associated with it - such as the Urgent Care center. So today, after seeing said physician, I headed to the ladies room and scrubbed like a surgeon. You think I'm kidding? Nope...lathered up and washed 2/3 the way up to my elbow...and I definitely could have sung Happy Birthday more than three times while I washed and rinsed. In fact, it has been about five hours since I scrubbed, and I can still smell it on my skin...delightful!

If you think this is strange (which, I assure you, most people do), you will find it just as odd to know that upon returning home, I put my hands out for my children to smell. They immediately know that I've been to the "hospital" and are rather jealous. I hear "What?! You got to go to the hospital? Why didn't we get to go?" Seriously. They, too, love the smell of the hospital soap. For us, it is just a happy smell.

So, where does this leave me? I mean, I can't get a pseudo ear infection every day! Believe me, I have tried to get a nurse to smuggle a bag out for me. Again, you think I'm kidding?!?! My favorite post-pardom nurse "L" has been asked on numerous occasions. As I left today, I thought, perhaps the next time I go I should have a travel sized container with me and just pump into it a "few" times and then I could use it at home...at least for a while. Hmmm...

I just Google'd it. It is available to buy online. It will have to wait until next week when I can talk to a representative and see if you actually have to be a healthcare professional to purchase it. Again...do you really think I'm kidding?

2 comments:

shannon, mom, wife, blogger said...

1. i totally respect your love for the soap and even more your diligence in finding where you can purchase it!!

2. what the heck was wrong with your ear?! are you better?

Unknown said...

So, have you gotten the soap yet?