"I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love
we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.'
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD.
It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young."
Lamentations 3:19-27
(emphasis added)
This morning, I have submitted the day to the Lord. Wow, to be able to say that...that alone is encouraging. Last night I was definitely submitting to the feeling of being overwhelmed and I knew it. I knew that I was putting my hope in myself and not looking for an honest way out.
Today is a new day. If the writer of Lamentations can find hope in the midst of a city in ruins, after God's temple had been destroyed, seeing the Lord's people in the streets -- desolate, starving, women eating their own children, beaten down and trampled himself -- if he can find hope, there is absolutely no excuse for me to be downcast.
Do I have a lot going on right now? Sure. Will I survive it? Absolutely. This morning I am refreshed because I know that I am not in control. Some of the things on my "to do" list I had previously turned over to God and felt complete peace about the decisions we are making - and yet I still found myself slipping into a state of self-pity. Boo hoo...we are hoping to buy a new house. Boo hoo...we have the ability and desire to host a party for friends. Boo hoo...we have four healthy kids, including twins that are about to be six. Boooooo hoooooo!
My biggest grief with myself right now, by allowing myself to wallow in self-pity, if only for a night, I tried taking control for myself. Seriously. Will I ever learn that lesson? Probably not. I'm thinking this is forever going to be a part of my sanctification!
So, for today...I've read the book of Lamentations...and my life isn't seeming so difficult. Looking ahead, I'm going to get the laundry started and attack the "to do" list. God has allowed me to see my error and is giving me today to turn back to Him. I will not be consumed because of the Lord's great love...not because I deserve it. I will not be consumed because of the Lord's great love...not because I'm a great list-maker. I will not be consumed because of the Lord's great love...because His compassions never fail - they are new every morning - His faithfulness is great! Please continue to refine me Lord, and may I be used to give you glory!
Professional ASP.NET MVC 5 Jon Galloway livre
4 years ago



1 comment:
Our pastor talked on this passage on Sunday -- and now I read your post on self-pity.
I too have been wallowing in my own self-pity lately. I too need to turn my day over to God.
Thanks for the awesome reminder!
Post a Comment