Thursday, November 20, 2008

From ordinary days to holidays

Here we are - just an "ordinary" day. I'm not sure exactly what ordinary is anymore, but I think today qualifies because we don't have anything "special" planned. However, we have had special days lately and are looking forward to more!
Yesterday the girls were very excited for Little Lambs because they were going to be "celebrated." To them this meant that they got to pass out treat bags to their friends, get balloons, and pick out three things for their birthday. It has been fun to see the excitement for their fifth birthday build this year. We have been counting down the days since October - I'm glad we're down to single digits - much easier for me to remember :)
Nolan had a "special" day on Monday. See the pic to the right? That "make-up" isn't part of a costume...no, that's what happens when Mama is on the phone too long with Grandma and doesn't realize that her 18 month old has gotten hold of the red ink pad...oops. Thankfully, it was non-toxic and washable, so Mama was spared a little angst.
Looking forward, we are on the brink of the holiday season - yay! I love the holidays because I'm a sucker for family gatherings. Well...and all the food that appears...and the smiles...and inevitably, the crabby kids. Perhaps not that last one, but by mid-January I'll have everyone debriefed :) So, along with the holidays comes a feeling of full - and I'm not reverting to the food comment. No, for me, I love the holidays because homes are full - filled with family, filled with friends, filled with memories, filled with excitement...full. Already I'm beginning to have a warmth in my soul as I look forward to Thanksgiving next week.
Hopefully you will also find this to be a joyous season! I realize that many of these days are filled with shopping, food preparation, picture taking, ecetera. This year, stop with me, allow the warmth of the days to wash over you and look around. See your grandparents joy as they quietly watch your rambunctious children run circles around you. Catch a look between your parents that says "I love you, and I love our family." Steal a moment with your spouse to let him or her know that you are thankful for them and you can't imagine life without them. And, if you are blessed with children, be sure to create moments that they won't forget as they have the opportunity to learn from you, spend time with their grandparents, and enjoy great-grandparents! Allow yourself to become full...your life is rich, and blessings abound!

1 comment:

Char Vannette said...

I just love the way you think.
Mom (Perhaps wiping a tear or two...)